And delicious. It’s definitely man pleasin’ vittles.
This is what you’ll need to make this *easy* lime fajita recipe:
You’ll also need an onion or two, some oil with a high heat point (not olive oil), freshly diced or granulated garlic, a few limes, and some salt.
First, turn the oven on low, and warm up a serving platter, and your tortillas. I remove the tortillas from the package, and wrap them in foil, with a splash of water.
Now, to prep all of your ingredients. If you’ve bought a whole steak, you want to slice your meat thinly. Sometimes, I will freeze the meat for an hour or two to make it easier to slice. A little under 1/4 inch slices do nicely. You want it to cook quickly.
As you near the end of your prep work., you can start heating up a heavy skillet on high heat. Slice 2-3 limes in half, and cut your onions into 1/4 inch slices…separate the onion slices out into rings.
Put all of your prepped ingredients, the warm serving platter, and your salt and garlic right at hand next to your skillet. This comes together quickly!
When it’s smoking and shimmering nicely, carefully lay in onion slices to cover the bottom of the pan. I like to use tongs for this. As soon as you lay the onions down, start laying in the meat slices on top of them.
and you’ve got a gorgeous stack of fajita meat, and drooling people begin to swarm your kitchen.
Serve with additional lime wedges, and fresh cut avocado if desired.
Here’s the printable…go forth and fajita!
- 3 limes
- 1 lb. flank or fajita steak
- 2 T peanut oil (or other high heat oil like coconut)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (or can use granulated)
- dash salt & pepper to taste
- 2 onions, sliced into rings
- 8 tortillas, warmed
- 1 avocado
- Slice your steak into thin slices. How thin, you ask? 3/16ths of an inch, if you wanna be picky about it. I'm not.
- Slice onions into ¼" rings, and separate.
- Chop limes in half, and mince garlic if you're using fresh.
- Set out an empty platter, your limes, salt & pepper, and get your tortillas warming in the oven on low.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet or flat griddle to high heat, and add a T of oil.
- Arrange the onions in a single layer on the pan, and let heat from just a minute, until beginning to sizzle and steam a bit.
- Lay the steak strips over the top of the onion, allowing them to steam and brown where they touch the pan.
- Cook for a minute or two, and then season with fresh or granulated garlic. Immediately flip the steak and onions. Continue to 'stir fry' until nicely browned, then transfer to the waiting platter.
- Squeeze a half of a fresh lime over the top of the meat/onions, and salt/pepper. (Please, please use fresh and not bottled lime juice!)
- Repeat with the rest of the ingredients until all of the meat and onions are cooked.
- Slice or mash avocado. Squeeze in a half a lime and a t. of salt for an amazing fresh guac.
- Serve on warm tortillas, with frozen adult beverage of your choice.