I like to sew, and I love really nice tools and sewing trinkets. My Mom and Mother in law are both wonderful about getting me great quality sewing tools. The magnetic pin cushion was a favorite, and I had mine for years before my little Viking child became enamoured with it, and accidentally knocked it into the floor and cracked the case.
Instead of tossing it, I had an epiphany…what if I could make a Viking proof magnetic pin cushion that was even cuter than the generic purple plastic one? And so my idea was born.
But what would I use? I’d seen some lovelies made from china teacups and saucers…but I knew that would not fit the bill for Viking proof. Then my eyes landed upon this little metal soap dish, and a shaft of light shone down from heaven. Come to Mama!
It was SO easy to convert this soap dish into a magnetic pin cushion. This is how I did it:
- I removed the foam backing from the soap dish to get to the innerds.
- Loosen the nut or bolt or screw…whatever is holding your soap dish together. Mine had a hex head screw, so I got to get into my husband’s tools. Always more fun. 🙂
- Once the screw is undone, flip it over and pop off the top of the soap dish that your pins will sit on.
- Insert heavy duty magnets (stolen from a busted magnetic pin cushion if you’ve got one).
- Put top back in place, and re-assemble. Retighten screw/nut/bolt…whatever. 🙂
- Load up you pins onto your awesome NEW magnetic pin cushion!