Flu Fact #3: You can have Influenza WITHOUT running a fever.
What? Flu without fever? It’s TRUE! But that’s not necessarily a good thing, since the fever helps the body fight off the flu, AND it’s often the symptom that we associate with being contagious, so we’re more likely to stay home. It’s very possible, according to the CDC, and according to Theresa R from the Herbal Chick Chat Facebook group.
Theresa says, “Yes, you can. My daughter only had sore throat, 99.5 temp. She tested positive for flu and strep. Her fever didn’t come on until 3 days into the flu. We have multiple friends whose kids or themselves have done the same thing. That is why around here it is being passed so easily.” It’s always better to be safe than sorry, and start treating early!
Dr. Rob’s Opinion: Absolutely you can have influenza, type A or B without running a fever. This makes it tricky because the flu can masquerade around your home, school, church or town as a simple cold, when in reality it is much more potent than that.
In fact, according to an article published in Harvard Health Actually 20% to 30% of people carrying the influenza virus have no symptoms at all. Not even a fever! These guys can spread the bug quickly and easily as there are no visible warning signs. This is why it is important to keep yourself healthy.
A study conducted in Beijing by the Chinese CDC that included international researchers representing Austrailia, the US, China, and Vietman found that only 30% of patients infected with the flu had an actual fever. Now, when I was reading this study I think it is flawed or may be relevant to Beijing but not to America. My personally opinion on this is about 70%-80% of the people infected with the flu will have a fever but the other 20%-30% will not.
Accordingly, wash your hands, take your vitamins and if your body is not healthy, then find out the root cause behind this and get it healthy.
Now for a classic Flu Fact #4
Cut onions attract & kill airborne viruses.
Is this true? Click to find out!
I think it depends, on what I’m not sure. I’ve have really good experiences and some bad ones. When my daughter was 3 months old she had severe reflux, to the point of not being able to eat.. they were fast. We got out in 3 hours. When she was 5 months she became lethargic with a fever and no other symptoms, after 9 hours we still hadn’t seen a doctor. Keep in mind my daughter is premature (2 months) so things that may not seem like much, can be huge for her. The hospital does get bombarded with situations that don’t exactly require emergency care, for instance, when we were there because of an unexplained fever, there was a 30-ish yr old women there with a Charlie horse in her hand.? She was there for 11 hours (I think they were hoping she’d just leave). We try not to go to any clinics or hospitals because of my daughters weak immune system, and use the health unit or that hot line number for advice and suggestions.
Gwen Brown says
Absolutely…risk assessment is individualized. It’s important that you talk with your doctor to know what situations require medical treatment.
Ruvim Gul says
Very interesting indeed!! Risk assessment is personalized and personalization is the most important things too.