This breadstick recipe is a family favorite, and it takes less than 90 minutes from start to finish. We can’t keep our hands off of them. I think they taste like the breadsticks from a famous ‘hut’ of pizza restaurants. Only these are better.
This breadstick recipe makes 2 dozen, so there’s usually enough for leftovers. Here’s what you’ll need:
And not pictured: parmesan cheese, kosher salt (the big fluffy kind) and ground flax seed.
The flax seed is optional, but it adds healthy stuff and fiber, and just a hint of nice nutty flavor.
I use my bread machine to mix up the dough, but you can also use a stand mixer, or mix it by hand if your biceps are up for it. Measure the following into your mixing bowl:
1 1/3 c. warm water
2 T. soft butter
4 c. of flour
2 T. sugar
2 t. salt 1 t. Greek Seasonings or your favorite herb blend
2 1/2 t. yeast
¼ c. ground flax seed (optional)
Mix and knead until smooth. If you’re using a bread machine, set it on the dough setting and let it run while you prep the pan. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and butter it. Lay out a tea towel and flour it lightly (or flour your countertop). Put your dough out on the floured surface. Flip to put a bit of flour on both sides, and roll out into a large rectangle, approximately the size of your pan.
and transfer it onto the cookie sheet.
Stretch it to fit..this is a really soft, easy dough to work with.
It’s not sticky or tempermental, and it doesn’t hold a grudge.
Butter it up.
Now blend together your topping mix (see the printable for recipe). I like to blend it with a fork and sort of crumble up the cheese.
Sprinkle liberally over the dough.
Cut the breadsticks to size. I like to use a dough scraper, but a pizza wheel or knife works fine too.
I cut the dough in half lengthwise and width-wise, so you have four rectangles.
Then, cut each rectangle into six strips. I find it easiest to cut each rectangle in half and then just do two more evenly spaced cuts on each side.
Two dozen lovely breadsticks! Cover the pan with a teatowel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size. This usually takes about 45 minutes. I set the timer for 40 min, and start pre-heating the oven to 400 degrees.
Oven is heated, so in they go. Bake until golden brown…from 15 to 18 minutes.
Oh, man. These are sooooo good. I always burn my fingers trying to take them apart too soon to dig in.
If you’re really feeling naughty, warm up some butter with chopped garlic in it and brush them down. Or, as soon as they’re cool enough to handle, tear them apart and serve hot with marinara dipping sauce.
They won’t last long!
Here’s the printable!
- 1⅓ c. warm water
- 2 T. soft butter
- 4 c. of flour
- 2 T. sugar
- 2 t. salt
- 1 t. Greek Seasonings or your favorite herb blend
- 2½ t. yeast
- ¼ c. ground flax seed (optional)
- ⅓ c. Parmesan cheese
- 1 T. kosher salt – it’s the fluffy kind. (If you don’t have that, substitute 1 t. regular salt)
- 2 t. Greek Salad Dressing seasoning mix or use optional seasoning mix below if you don’t have the Greek Seasoning
- ⅓ cup of Parmesan cheese
- 1 t ground black pepper
- 1 t oregano
- 1 t garlic powder
Blend and mash the seasonings, cheese, and fluffy salt with a fork. Shake/sprinkle this mix onto your breadsticks before baking.
- Mix ingredients in bread machine or by hand and knead until dough is smooth.
- Butter a parchment lined cookie sheet, and set aside.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle about the size of a cookie sheet.
- Transfer it to the pan and stretch to fill your pan.
- Spread butter over the top.
- Blend the ingredients for the seasoned topping with a fork and sprinkle liberally over the dough.
- Cut the breadsticks to size: cut rectangle in half lengthwise and widthwise, then cut each quarter into 6 pieces.
- Cover, and let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 400° F during the last 5 minutes of rising time.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown.
- You can add more butter and seasonings at the end if desired. Butter with fresh chopped garlic is amazing.
- Serve with marinara dipping sauce.
Cheesy Breadsticks- after baking, add more seasonings and mozzarella cheese. Put under the broiler until the cheese is melted and a little bit brown.