This (low carb) lemon poppyseed muffin is one of my favorite ways to start my day. Lemons and poppyseeds make me cheerful.
This is a really quick recipe to toss together, and you can either bake it up in the oven (in regular muffin cups…it will make 3 muffins), or microwave it in a mug for less than a minute. The end result is warm, steamy, tart muffins that keep that blood sugar nice and stable, and fill your tummy until lunch!
This is how I do it:
Start with flax, coconut flour (not pictured and optional), one egg, half a lemon, sweetener of choice, salt, butter, baking powder, poppy seeds, lemon essential oil (I love NOW brand)…WHEW! OK. Lots of ingredients there. So, to make our lives easier, in the printable, I’ll give you a recipe for a master mix, to make this a LOT easier to whip up in the morning.
If you’re used to making some of the Muffin in a Mug recipes from the Trim Healthy Mama book, then the coconut flour is a new addition. My daughter and I played around a bit with this version, and took out 2 T of the flax or almond and subbed one T of coconut flour instead. We love the lighter feel and fluff of this version! But you can always choose to use all flax, or sub 2 T. of the almond meal for the coconut flour called for. It’s totally up to your tastes and what you have on hand.
My sweetener of choice is NuNaturals Stevia Extract. A microscopic, fine dusting is all you need to achieve a nice gentle sweetness with no icky aftertaste. My trick here is to twist the cap so that 3 of the small holes are open. Gives me more control when adding my sweetener sprinkles.
Once you get all of your ingredients into the mug, whisk really well. We don’t want any eggy chunklets in there. Then bake according to your favorite method.
Dump and add buttah…
I love to serve with a side of Greek yogurt, and my raspberry sugar free syrup recipe. SO, so yummy and decadent! This is a much finer breakfast than I used to eat, and is so much kinder to my blood sugar and waistline.
Would you like to try it?
Here is your printable low carb lemon poppyseed muffin recipe:
- Single Muffin in a Mug
- 1 egg
- 2 T. flax seed meal (Golden Flax is my favorite)
- 1 T. coconut flour (or sub 2 more T of golden flax, or 2 T of almond flour)
- ½ lemon, juiced (or 2 T lemon juice)
- 1 T. butter
- ½ t. poppy seeds
- pinch of salt
- 3 dashes NuNaturals Stevia Extract, or your sweetener to taste
- ½ t. baking powder
- 2-3 drops lemon essential oil (I love NOW brand)
- Master Mix
- 2 cup golden flax meal
- 1 cup coconut flour (or another 2 cups of flax meal or 2 cups almond meal)
- 2 T poppyseeds
- ¾ t. salt
- 2 T. baking powder
- ¾ t. Nustevia Extract
- Single Muffin Instructions:
- Blend all ingredients in a mug or a small bowl (if you plan on baking in the oven).
- Mix really well to make sure that your butter and egg are evenly incorporated.
- Bake in the microwave for 50 seconds or so, or in the oven at *350 in 3 regular sized muffin cups.
- If baking in muffin cups, greasing the lining paper is a good idea, or use silicone liners for easier removal.
Master Mix Instructions
- Blend all dry ingredients in a jar.
- To prepare a muffin in a mug, add ¼ cup of dry mix (1/3 cup if you used all flax or almond meal/flax), one egg, juice of one lemon, 1 T of butter, and a couple drops of lemon essential oil.
- Mix well, to incorporate the butter & egg.
- Bake according to the instructions above.