Tomato cucumber salad is the quintessential summer salad in the fridge of grandmothers all over the south. Grandmother Porter used bottled Italian dressing as the marinade, and simply added more veggies to the bowl after each meal, creating an everlasting summer side dish. It’s best with fresh tomatoes, but the mix even elevates grocery store cherry tomatoes to a whole new level of delicious.
Use your favorite variety of onions, cucumbers, and tomatoes, and slice into bite size pieces.
In this Trim & Healthy version, I replace bottled dressing with our most favorite and SUPER easy homemade Greek Dressing Recipe. The real beauty here is that you can enjoy this as an S style salad with an oil based dressing, or easily pull this back into Fuel Pull territory by using the fat free dressing recipe I include on the printable. As a Fuel Pull, this salad would be a perfect accompaniment to ANY type of meal or snack: S, E, or Fuel Pull. If all this “E” and “Fuel Pull” is garbledygoo to you, then be sure to check out the Trim Healthy Mama book review I did here. (opens in a new window)
If you really want to go more Greek, toss in some feta and olives (S for sure) or look for fat free feta for your FP salad.
Allow to marinate well before serving…and enjoy all of the amazing flavors of summer for just a little while longer.
Now for your printable Tomato Cucumber Salad recipe:
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced thin
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- ½ c. prepared Greek or Italian Salad Dressing
- 3 T. Feta (full [S] or non-fat [FP])-optional
- 2 T. black or kalmata olives, pitted &/or sliced-optional
- Prepare veggies and blend in a medium bowl.
- Pour on salad dressing and mix well.
- Add feta or olives if desired.
- Enjoy right away, or allow to marinate overnight for even more amazing flavor.
- Add additional veggies and dressing after meals to enjoy an 'everlasting' summer salad.