Strawberry soup – I look forward to this delicious appetizer that’s served at our annual mother’s day luncheon ALL year. Wait, you’ve never heard of strawberry soup? It’s a little bit like melted strawberry ice cream, but not so cloyingly sweet…it’s the perfect blend of fresh strawberries pureed into a creamy and perfectly tart chilled dessert soup. It’s one of the appetizers served at the Grand Floridian Resort at Disney. There are all different variations out there on the interwebs including this strawberry soup recipe from the Disney Food Blog.
However, the versions I’ve seen all are sugary and won’t work for my low carb lifestyle. Plus, normally I am *not* a fan of cold soups. But after my Mom served it as the appetizer of the Mother’s Day menu, I’m a convert. This is really in a class by itself, and you just HAVE to try it! I adapted the recipe that my Mom uses to be sugar free, a little lighter, and dairy free optional.
Strawberry Soup Recipe
Here’s your printable strawberry soup recipe:
- 1 lb. strawberries or 4 cups fresh or frozen whole berries, hulled
- 1½ cups heavy cream *or* DF option- use coconut creamer
- 1½ cups almond milk
- ½ cup plain Greek style yogurt *or* DF option- sub coconut yogurt or full fat coconut cream
- 1½ to 2 Tablespoons of Sweet Blend or Truvia or 6-8 packets of sweetener of your choice
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, or hazelnut extract, *or* one drop of good quality orange essential oil, optional
- Place all ingredients in a blender & blend until smooth & creamy.
- Taste and adjust sweetness and flavors.
- Chill for at least an hour, or overnight.
- Serve in chilled bowls with fresh berries as garnish.