This chocolate milkshake recipe makes me swoon! It’s better than a certain fast food chain’s chocolate frosty drink. And being sugar free and full of protein just gives me even more reasons to have this whenever that chocolate milkshake urge hits. Like many of my other sugar free milkshakes, this one has a secret ingredient that you might not guess. And you might not believe it (I see you making a face!) but give it a shot and I bet it will change your mind.
The addition of cottage cheese gives this shake a creamy rich base, and when the blender stops, you’ll never ever guess that secret ingredient.
It’s just that good.
I’ll give you the recipe two ways: one is low fat and low carb, and the other is richer with the addition of healthy fats. Either one you try will leave you feeling a little bit in love with this chocolate milkshake with absolutely NO guilt! And that’s what healthy eating is all about.
I really like the addition of the carton egg whites, since they add some frothiness to the final milkshake. I’m normally a big fan of pastured eggs, and you can use those if it’s what you’ve got and you’re comfortable using unpasteurized egg whites. The carton egg whites are pre-pasteurized, so I prefer them for this recipe.
Chocolate Milkshake Recipe
Here’s your chocolate milkshake recipe pin and printable!
- ½ cup low fat cottage cheese (I like 2% Daisy brand)
- ½ cup carton egg whites, optional
- 2 tablespoons to ¼ cup cocoa powder- I like theRodelle brand from Costco (affiliate link)
- 1-2 teaspoons Sweet Blend (affiliate link) or your favorite non-glycemic sweetener to taste
- 1½ cups ice
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter, *or* fractionated coconut oil (MCT), *or* 1 pastured egg yolk, optional
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, optional
- Add all ingredients to the blender, and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Taste test to adjust sweetness- it should not be bitter. If it is, simply add sweetener in tiny amounts until you get it just right.
Follow me on Pinterest and never miss a recipe!
Follow Gwen’s Nest