My Beef Stroganoff Recipe gets an lower fat (Trim Healthy Mama E style) makeover in this family favorite recipe. This savory beef dish boasts a flavorful, creamy gravy- it’s the perfect compliment to pasta or rice; and it’s also super quick and easy to make! (This is a reblog of an older recipe from my archives, updated with nice photos)
This ground Beef Stroganoff has been a favorite of mine since I was a little girl. It’s one of those classics that my Mom taught me how to make, and it still gets frequent requests around my own dinner table. Growing up, we made this dish with a can of cream of mushroom soup and a whole carton of sour cream. I’ve created a healthier, lighter version that’s JUST as flavorful.
If you’re a Trim Healthy Mama, you may use full fat sour cream to create a crossover meal, or use the lower fat version to create a filling E dinner when served over brown rice. I know lots of you are wanting ideas for good E meals. Give this one a try!
Beef Stroganoff Recipe
This is what you’ll need:
1 pound of ground beef, a few cloves of garlic, one onion, a mushroom soup cube, 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or other dairy free, low fat alternative), 0% Greek yogurt, and glucomannan and a tablespoon of butter (not pictured). I like to serve this over brown rice, so that’s already in the cooker at this point.
Step one: Melt butter, and saute chopped up onion in a skillet until tender. Toss in chopped garlic for just a minute or so, and then add your beef. I like to brown my beef well…I like some dark brown crusty spots on the bottom. It adds such a rich beefy flavor!
Make a hole in the middle of the ground beef, and pour your milk in,
Add your mushroom cube…
Measure out 1/2-1 tsp of gluccomannan, and get your whisk ready. Sprinkle a light layer of gluccie over the top of the milk as you whisk. You should see it start pulling together into a rich, thick sauce. I start with 1/2 t. and go from there.
Add your 0% Greek yogurt to the pan next. Stir to blend it all in.
Add salt/pepper to taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
Serve over brown rice with a side of steamed veggies or a side salad.
Here is your printable E style beef stroganoff recipe
- 1 T. butter
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic (the more the better, IMO...I think I usually throw in 4-5 cloves)
- 1 lb. of ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- steak seasonings and parsley to taste
- 1 cream of mushroom cube (from the cream of mushroom recipe here)
- ½-1 teaspoon glucomannan powder
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup unsweetened 0% Greek yogurt (for an E meal) or full fat sour cream (Crossover)
- Add ground beef, and brown. Cook the beef until a toasty brown develops on the bottom of some of the meat, and it has a rich, roasted smell. Transfer meat to colander, and rinse with very hot water to remove fat. This step can be skipped if you are using a very lean grassfed beef or venison...if in doubt, just rinse.
- Chop up the onions and garlic. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onions in butter for a minute, and then add garlic and stir. Make a hole in the center of the skillet, and melt down a cream of mushroom soup cube.
- Pour your cup of almond milk over this, and gently sprinkle the gluccomannan into a thin layer over the liquid, whisking as you sprinkle. Stir until it comes together into a gravy.
- Stir in Sour Cream and seasonings to taste. Blend in well and cook until warmed through.
To create a Crossover meal, serve with an S side dish or dessert, &/or use full fat sour cream in place of the Greek yogurt.
Follow me on Pinterest and never miss a recipe!
For more Trim & Healthy inspiration, check out the Trim Healthy Tuesday link up on page 2!