Cheeseburger Quesadillas are man pleasing grub…perfectly sized for party food, and flat out DELICIOUS! You can top these with your favorite burger fixing to create a DIY burger bar on family night. This is what I’ll be cooking up for my Trim Healthy Man on Father’s Day, so I’m gonna make some for you today here on Trim Healthy Tuesday!
Look at these babies…warm, melty cheeseburgery goodness wrapped in a hot & buttery crisp quesadilla. These seriously may RUIN normal cheeseburgers for me forever. This makes regular buns just seem really pasty and lame. And you know I mean hamburger buns, right? Right.
You’ll need: low carb tortillas, sugar free ketchup, 1 pound of ground beef, cheese, pickle relish or dill pickles, mayo, mustard…anything you love on a burger.
This is not the time to be a plain Jane…go for sloppy and flavorful. I made some sauteed onions for ours, and MAJOR deliciousness happened. You’ll want to have your meal and any cold toppings like lettuce and tomatoes ready to go when you heat up the griddle. They come together quickly!
Start by really browning your ground beef. You’ve heard my song and dance before about really getting that bottom layer of ground beef a TOASTY brown to bring out a full beefy flavor. I also caramelized onions in some butter. Both of these steps can be done ahead of time.
When you’re ready to cook, get all of your toppings at easy reach and ready to assemble. Toss a tsp of butter on a hot skillet, and swirl it around to cover the bottom. Lay your tortilla down, and place a piece of cheese down. I folded mine into half from corner to corner and made two points, so they’d fit better. Top with ground beef & onions, and then quickly squirt/schmear on your mayo, mustard & ketchup. And the pickle relish…the pickle relish is critical, I tell you! Fold over and flip to really warm and melt it all together. Cut into 4 wedges. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat.
Serve with sliced cherry tomato wedges and crisp leaf lettuce. Dive in head first.
Watch men swoon.
Here is your printable Cheeseburger Quesadilla Recipe.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, sliced into rounds
- 2½ T. butter-divided
- 6 low carb tortillas-with 6 net carbs or less
- 6 slices of your favorite cheese, I used sharp cheddar
- sugar free ketchup, or THM ketchup p. 411
- dill pickle relish
- mayo-light or regular-the squeezy bottle is easiest
- 10-15 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 4 pieces of leaf lettuce, torn into pieces
- Brown your ground beef, allowing the bottom layer to really get a nice deep brown for best flavor. Drain.
- Add ½ of a T of butter to a skillet, and cook onion rings on medium heat until caramelized and browned well.
- Pre-cut tomatoes into wedges, and wash and tear lettuce. This step, and the two previous steps can be done ahead of time.
- Assemble all ingredients so that they are close at hand.
- Warm a cast iron skillet to medium heat, and melt 1 tsp. of butter on it, swirling to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Place a tortilla onto the skillet, and working quickly, add one slice of cheese to one half. I folded mine into half from corner to corner and made two points, so they'd fit better.
- Top with about 2-3 tablespoons of ground beef, and 2-3 tablespoons of caramelized onion.
- Add mayo, ketchup, mustard and pickle relish.
- Fold the empty half over the top of the filled half, and flip to melt it all together well.
- Cut into 4 wedges, and serve.
And now for even more fun: First, I hit goal weight last week! To celebrate, I’m giving away a FREE copy of Trim Healthy Mama…I’ll choose a winner tonight at 6:00.