I’m SO super excited to share this stevia syrup recipe with you! If you’ve missed my other posts about Trim Healthy Mama…my MOST FAVORITEST food book EVER…head over here and check out my Trim Healthy Mama book review.
So, my kitchen, my diet, and my body have had a fantabulous makeover, and I’m just not going back. Like, ever. So, my recipes section is also getting a makeover with LOTS of great sugar free and low glycemic goodies.
Stevia Syrup Recipe
I needed a sugar free pancake syrup recipe…but I’m not into Splenda. So to be more specific, I wanted a stevia syrup recipe. I mean, we love our sugar free berry syrup and all, but some folks around here are creatures of habit and really, really wanted ‘real’ pancake syrup on their Saturday morning low carb pancakes. Let’s do it!
Now, this stevia syrup recipe isn’t going to fool anyone into thinking it’s maple syrup or even Mrs. Butterworths. For you die hard real maple syrup fans, this is not a maple syrup clone.
But this DOES make a really lovely sub for pancake syrup, and has some wonderful qualities all on its own. Flavor wise, this pancake syrup is going to be more of the store bought variety…there is no way that it was really going to taste exactly like maple syrup, so I went to the other end of the spectrum and rounded out the maple flavor with a bit of orange and butterscotch.
Which leads me to the next essential quality of this pancake syrup recipe: it has cling power. It doesn’t soak in quickly and make your pancakes all soggy like normal syrup does. That’s thanks to this great stuff:
Glucomannan. I love this stuff.
OK…now for the best part. Or the weirdest part. It’s not sticky. That’s the dead giveaway that it’s not ‘real’ syrup. All of us Mamas who have little girls with long hair can rejoice together. It’s not sticky!!!
So, let’s make some stevia syrup! You’ll need:
Water, stevia extract or the sweetener of your choice, glucomannan powder, Frontier maple flavoring, orange essential oil or extract, butterscotch (or caramel or butter) extract, and a pinch or two of salt. You can find all of the flavorings and the gluccie in my new Trim & Healthy Amazon store!
Basically, you heat all of the ingredients into a nice syrupy consistency, and serve warm or cold. That’s it! Easiest stevia syrup recipe ever! And you’re in the drivers seat with the flavor combinations here.
Here is your printable stevia syrup recipe…enjoy!
- 3 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. Maple extract (I like Frontier brand)
- ½ tsp. butterscotch flavoring (or butter, or caramel...your pick)
- 2 drops NOW orange essential oil, or ⅛th tsp. orange extract
- ⅛th tsp salt
- ¼ tsp stevia extract or your favorite sweetener to taste
- ½ to 1 tsp glucomannan powder
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the glucomannan into a medium saucepan.
- Once everything is stirred in together, sprinkle the glucomannan lightly over the surface of the syrup, and whisk to incorporate.
- Taste and adjust the flavors (the gluccie tends to subdue the flavors somewhat), and turn the heat up to medium.
- Let your syrup come to a simmer, and thicken.
- It will thicken up a bit more when cooled/chilled. We like ours on the thinner side, and it still doesn't make pancake mush. If you like a thicker syrup, use a little more gluccie, up to 1 tsp.
- Serve warm or cold with a big stack of my low carb pancake recipe!
What’s your favorite thing to drizzle on top of your healthy pancakes?