This THM peppermint chocolate chip milkshake recipe is what I’m thankful for today. Between this AND the frozen eggnog recipe from last week. These two will keep me out of trouble in the drive through lane this holiday season when all of my favorite seasonal milkshake flavors are out.
My husband read my blog from last week and wanted to know why I hadn’t made him any frozen egg nog. The reason is that he is picky, and he likes the icky-thick-super-sweet store bought stuff. I was nervous that he’d turn his nose up. But when I made some to go with breakfast on Saturday, he was all, “This is NOT diet…how can you do this? How can this be low carb?”
Today, he tasted my mint chip shake and was again suspicious that I was slipping him a fast food shake. Skepticism is his love language.
The base recipe is really similar to what I shared last week, with just a couple of tweaks. I like to use 85% dark chocolate from Aldis *or* Lindt brand. Since I was getting all fancy for a photo I used my veggie peeler to shave off a few twirls of chocolate to garnish the top. (This works best if you warm the chocolate just a bit).
I also like to use a pure essential oil* for a super clean, intense mint experience that cannot be rivaled by extracts. I love the NOW brand peppermint oil (it’s pure…I’ve done my homework! and you CANNOT beat their prices) and I have other favorite & affordable essential oil brands here. (affiliate links)
It couldn’t be easier to make: just dump everything in your blender *except* for the chocolate, and blend until creamy, then break your chocolate into smaller pieces and blend for a few pulses more to get it just the right size to go up the straw. It’s heart meltingly good, AND gives you a good protein boost. What more do you need?
SO quick and yummy…this is my perfect companion for an afternoon of running errands!
***Please Note: For an every day, lighter version scale your cream back to 2T, or use half & half. If you go with the decadent full dose of heavy cream makes this a rich dessert or S meal if you’re a Trim Healthy Mama. You may also opt to add a scoop of protein powder to boost the protein as a meal.***
Here’s your pin and printable
THM Peppermint Chocolate Chip Milkshake Recipe
- ½ c. cottage cheese (2% Daisy is my fave)
- 1½- 2 c. ice
- 1 c. unsweetened almond milk
- 2 T or ¼ c. cream or ½ & ½
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. peppermint extract or 1-2 drops food grade essential oil
- 1-2 T Erythritol (or Xylitol or Truvia) + stevia extract to taste
- ⅛ t. gluccomannan or xanthan gum, optional
- ½ oz. 85% dark chocolate bar
- (optional) To make garnish curls, warm chocolate to warmish room temp, and use a veggie peeler to make curls.
- Chop chocolate bar into smallish chunks and set aside.
- Add remaining ingredients to your blender, and blend until well combined and smooth.
- Add chopped chocolate and blend or pulse to chop them up to straw-sized chunks.
- Pour into a tall glass, and top with whipped cream & chocolate curls if you're feeling fancy.
Using a full ¼ cup of heavy cream creates a *very* heavy/rich S milkshake that I use only on special occasions and as a meal replacement. It's similar calorie wise to the Muffin in a Mug. If you want to lighten it up, half the shake with someone else, scale the cream back and/or sub half & half instead.
*skeptical about using essential oils internally? I get it. I am too. See my soap box here about using them in foods vs. water. Or you can just choose an extract or flavoring that you love.
Follow me on Pinterest and never miss a recipe!
Follow Gwen’s Nest
Follow Gwen’s Nest’s board Gwen’s Nest Healthy Recipes on Pinterest.