I don’t love coleslaw, but this dill pickle coleslaw recipe is *GOOD*. My kids even like it! It’s tart and twangy and pickle-ish. It’s the perfect side dish for summer eatin’…brilliant with BBQ, delicious on chili dogs, and yummy on fish tacos.This is what you’ll need to make it:
Cabbage (or pre-cut coleslaw mix), onion, carrot, fresh or dried parsley, limes, mustard, dill pickles, and Italian dressing (I used my Greek dressing, and Greek seasoning mix).
This takes me about 10 minutes to throw together…first, we’re gonna chop the veggies and pickles. I like to use my Pampered Chef Chopper (no, I don’t sell PC products…I just happen to love this one!) Or you can drag out the food processor or knock yourself out with your favorite knife…or just use a pre-bagged coleslaw mix for most of it. I’m all about flexible.
Chop up parsley and carrots. I chopped the carrots into a few chunks and toss in the chopper
Repeat chopping routine with onions, dill pickles of any ilk, and toss it all in a bowl.
Next, we shall dress the mess.
Add salt, the juice of two limes, 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar OR 3-4 shakes NuNaturals Stevia Extract, OR 1 Tbl Truvia (not pictured) and some pickle juice.
You can always add more of the pickle juice at the end if you need a bit more dressing.
Pour in Italian dressing, mustard, and blend together. We’re almost there!
- ½ c. shredded carrots
- ¼ c onion, thinly sliced green onion shoots or chives
- ½ c. chopped dill pickles (from any shape/size dill…slices, minis, etc.)
- 3 c. shredded cabbage
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 T. parsley coarsely chopped
- ⅓ c. pickle juice
- 2T. brown sugar OR 3-4 shakes NuNaturals Stevia Extract, OR 1 Tbls Truvia
- 2T Prepared Italian or Greek dressing
- 1 T prepared mustard or Dijon mustard
- Mix diced carrots, onion, parsley, and pickles in a large bowl. I like to use my Pampered Chef chopper to dice everything up quickly…it’s easier to clean that a food processor.
- Add dressing ingredients to the bowl, and stir in.
- Finally, add shredded slaw, and blend well. If you need a bit more dressing, add in more pickle juice. Taste and adjust seasoning. I also like to add a teaspoon or so of the Greek Dressing Mix from my blog.
- This gets even better if you let it marinate overnight in the fridge.
- For a photographic tutorial of this coleslaw recipe, and more really yummy things, check out:
Anne Prochaska says
Anxious to try this.
Gwen Brown says
OH, it’s SO yummy! Hope you enjoy it. I don’t even LIKE coleslaw, and I like this. 🙂