Know what your low carb muffin needs? Streusel. This yummy, sugar free, low carb streusel is so simple, and really elevates any low carb baked good from “this is good” to “this must be a special occasion!”
And did I mention simple? It only uses 3 ingredients. You’ll need:
butter, protein powder, and a low carb sweetener of your choice. I use Sweet Blend from the Trim Healthy Mama store. (my affiliate link)
Mixing up streusel topping just takes seconds. This simple vanilla streusel recipe makes enough for one or two muffin in a mug type recipes. Like this lemon poppyseed recipe that <shameless plug!> is in the new SUPER awesome Trim Healthy Mama cookbook!
So all you do is mix a little protein powder and sweetener together. Then add a teaspoon of cold or room temp butter and cut it in with a fork until it’s crumbly. That’s it!
Then you just add your streusel to the top of your favorite cake or muffin before baking.
When it’s done, it’s a lovely buttery sweet streusel that’s a little party in your mouth. You should try it! And there are endless variations to this…try adding 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, or a drop or two of your favorite flavorings to play with different flavors.
Tune in next week for my current favorite muffin EVER. I can’t wait to share this one with you!
Low Carb Streusel Recipe Printable & Pin
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened protein powder- I like vanilla
- 1 teaspoon THM Sweet Blend, or 2 teaspoons Gentle Sweet, or ½ to a full packet of your favorite sweetener
- 1 teaspoon cold or room temp butter
- 1-2 drops of flavoring or essential oils to add flavor, optional
- Mix protein powder & sweetener together in a small dish.
- Add 1 teaspoon butter, and cut in with a fork.
- You can now add a drop or two of favoring or essential oil if you want an additional flavor boost.
- Top your favorite muffin or cake with this mix and bake as directed
Follow me on Pinterest and never miss a recipe!
Follow Gwen’s Nest